Responses Due By Tuesday, February 23, 2016
The Membership and Governance Committee of the Board of Directors of National Public Radio, Inc. solicits expressions of interest from persons wishing to serve as Non-Board members of the Distribution/Interconnection (D/I) Committee of the NPR Board of Directors. The Board has two non-Board D/I Committee member positions to fill. Each position is for a three-year term beginning with the D/I Committee’s November 2016 meeting. Non-Board members of the D/I Committee are eligible to serve two successive three-year terms.
The first terms of the following Non-Board members of the D/I Committee expire in November 2016:
- Nick Kereakos, Vice President, Technology & Operations, and Chief Technology Officer, American Public Media Group
- Bari Scott, Executive Director, SoundVision Productions
Nick Kereakos and Bari Scott are eligible for election to a second term.
Non-Board members of the D/I Committee are nominated by the Membership & Governance Committee, elected by the NPR Board, and ratified by the interconnected stations. The ratification ballot will open on Monday, July 11, 2016, and close on Thursday, August 11, 2016. The ratified Non-Board D/I Committee member will take office at the November 2016 meeting of the NPR Board.
NPR manages the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS). The NPR Board of Directors is responsible for setting the major goals and priorities for the PRSS, establishing rates and policies for use of the PRSS, and the PRSS oversight process. The D/I Committee is charged with general oversight of the PRSS (to assist the NPR Board with its responsibilities), proposing rates and policies to the NPR Board for approval, and reviewing proposed changes in policy prior to presentation to the NPR Board.
The PRSS serves a diverse group of users, including public radio stations (regardless of programming or organizational affiliations), program producers, program distributors, and other entities not affiliated with NPR. The election of Non-Board members to the D/I Committee is intended to broaden and enhance the representation of diverse interests in the affairs of the PRSS.
Criteria for evaluating potential candidates for the Non-Board member seat include:
1. Candidate must demonstrate interest in and knowledge of the public radio distribution system and public radio programming;
2. Candidate must demonstrate an ability to understand and explain the needs of non-NPR public radio satellite system users, including independent producers, other public telecommunications entities, and minority groups;
3. Candidate must not be an Authorized Station Representative of an NPR Member station. (Other employees of NPR Member stations are eligible to serve as Non-Board members of the D/I Committee);
4. Candidate must demonstrate a willingness to make a commitment of time and to travel for meetings throughout their term of service (4-5 meetings a year; travel expenses paid by NPR).
If you have any questions, please contact Maryfran Tyler, Senior Director, Enterprise, Strategy & Planning, NPR Distribution, at 202-513-2675 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Twanna Clark at (202) 513-2058 or email@example.com.
Posted: January 28, 2016