Call for Expressions of Interest in Non-Board Distribution/Interconnection Committee Member Positions
Responses Due By Tuesday, February 19, 2019
The Governance Committee of the Board of Directors of National Public Radio, Inc. solicits expressions of interest from persons wishing to serve as Non-Board members of the Distribution/Interconnection (D/I) Committee of the NPR Board of Directors. The Board has two non-Board D/I Committee member positions to fill. The positions are for three-year terms beginning with the D/I Committee’s November 2019 meeting. Non-Board members of the D/I Committee are eligible to serve two successive three-year terms.
The second terms of the following Non-Board members of the D/I Committee will expire in November 2019, and they are not eligible for re-election:
- Nick Kereakos, Vice President, Technology & Operations, Chief Technology Officer, American Public Media Group
- Bari Scott, Executive Director, SoundVision Productions
Non-Board members of the D/I Committee are nominated by the Governance Committee, elected by the NPR Board, and ratified by the interconnected stations. The ratification ballot will open on Monday, July 8, 2019, and close on Thursday, August 8, 2019. The ratified Non-Board D/I Committee members will take office at the November 2019 meeting of the NPR Board.
If you wish to be considered for a position as a Non-Board member of the D/I Committee, please submit (a) a letter stating the reasons why you are interested in serving as a Non-Board member of the D/I Committee, and (b) a resume. Expressions of interest should be sent as e-mail attachments (preferably in MS Word or pdf format) to Twanna Clark, Manager, Board Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Non-Board D/I Committee Member Nominations.” Expressions of interest also may be sent by mail or courier, addressed to Twanna Clark, Manager, Board Relations, National Public Radio, Inc., 1111 North Capitol Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002. These expressions of interest must be received by the close of business on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 (although the Governance Committee reserves the right to extend the due date).
NPR manages the Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS). The NPR Board of Directors is responsible for setting the major goals and priorities for the PRSS, establishing rates and policies for use of the PRSS, and the PRSS oversight process. The D/I Committee is charged with general oversight of the PRSS (to assist the NPR Board with its responsibilities), proposing rates and policies to the NPR Board for approval, and reviewing proposed changes in policy prior to presentation to the NPR Board.
The PRSS serves a diverse group of users, including public radio stations (regardless of programming or organizational affiliations), program producers, program distributors, and other entities not affiliated with NPR. The election of Non-Board members to the D/I Committee is intended to broaden and enhance the representation of diverse interests in the affairs of the PRSS. In their service on the D/I Committee, Non-Board members of the D/I Committee owe fiduciary duties to NPR.
Criteria for evaluating potential candidates for the Non-Board member seat include:
- Candidate must demonstrate interest in and knowledge of the public radio distribution system and public radio programming;
- Candidate must demonstrate an ability to understand and explain the needs of non-NPR public radio satellite system users, including independent producers, other public telecommunications entities, and minority groups;
- Candidate must not be an Authorized Station Representative of an NPR Member station. (Other employees of NPR Member stations are eligible to serve as Non-Board members of the D/I Committee);
- Candidate must demonstrate a willingness to make a commitment of time and to travel for meetings throughout their term of service (4-5 meetings a year; travel expenses paid by NPR).
If you have any questions, please contact Maryfran Tyler, Senior Director, Enterprise, Strategy & Planning, NPR Distribution, at 202-513-2675 or email@example.com, or Twanna Clark at (202) 513-2058 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: January 22, 2019